Wednesday, December 09, 2009

CELEBRATING

{laundry}

"Life was better in those days, it really was. When China Mae did the wash in the wash house, and we put the fire under that big iron pot, why it was an exciting event. China Mae had joy over making the clothes come clean, while people today would think it was a drudgery. We kind of celebrated on wash day. Mama would make a pineapple upsidedown cake, and Louella and I would make stickies out of biscuit dough and cinnamon and sugar, and after that big load of work was done, we all sat down and had a tea party."

p. 334 from At Home in Midford

1 comment:

Katie Barker said...

I have 2 loads in right now; makes me think I should celebrate after reading that! :) I guess the idea of cleanliness is a thing to celebrate. The joy that we can make it pretty smelling and white again. . . amazing.