No, I haven't finished my Christmas shopping already! But we ARE starting THIS today and I am oh, so excited about it! It is our "advent calendar" for this year. I wrapped 24 books, labeled them and each night until Christmas the boys will get the chosen book read to them before bed. You can see my friends' version HERE who first shared this idea with me. For more advent ideas, see HERE.
These are the books that were selected for our first (annual ?) advent book reading, most of which we already owned. A few were a last minute rescue from our second hand store. You may also notice that I mixed in winter themed books with spiritual related books. We will be doing our Scripture advent reading separately.
Here is the list of books that we'll be reading:
1. Footprints in the Snow (Cynthia Benjamin)
2. Little Einstein's Christmas Wish (Disney)
3. The Little Drummer Boy (1968 Little Golden Book)
4. The Elves and the Shoemaker (Little Golden Book)
5. The Christmas Story (Little Golden Book)
6. Room For A Little One (Martin Waddell)
7. Owl Moon (Jane Yolen)
8. The Little Lost Angel
9. Katy and the BIG SNOW (Virginia Lee Burton)
10. The Steadfast Tin Soldier (Graham Percy)
11. The Little Drummer Boy (Ezra Jack Keats)
12. Who Is Coming To Our House? (Joseph Slate)
13. Noel (Little Board Books)
14. Jingle Bells
15. The Snowchild (Ill. by Deborah Kogan Ray)
16. The Christmas Mouse
17. Socks for Supper (Jack Kent)
18. Father and Son, A Nativity Story (Geraldine McCaughrea)
19. Madeline's Christmas (Ludwig Bemelmans)
20. The Apple Tree Christmas (Trinka Hakes Noble)
21. Spunky's First Christmas (Janette Oke)
22. Winnie the Pooh's Christmas (Bruce Talkington)
23. Red Boots for Christmas (Carol Greene)
24. Mortimer's Christmas Manger (Karma Wilson & Jane Chapman)
I also needed a new chapter book to start with the boys and came across THIS gem at the library:
So, looks like we're all booked up for December!!??
(sorry. I couldn't resist!!!) :)
What are some of YOUR (and your kids) favorite reads during "the most wonderful time of the year?"