Sunday, November 12, 2006

My Last Picture Being Pregnant


Here's the Story:

For all of you who care about the "not-so-gory" details, here they are:

I was 5 days over-due and no baby. So the plan that the dr. & I agreed on was in play. I was a week overdue with Drew when they induced me, but I had gone into labor on my own in the middle of the night. So by the time I arrived at the hospital for my scheduled time, my contractions were 5 min. apart and things just rolled right along! But when I woke up the morning of this inducement, there were no contractions, which made me a little nervous going into this one cold turkey. John & I chatted away on this car ride to the hospital and I walked in from the parking lot this time, no special drop off at the front entrance. It was a little abnormal...here's the time frame of how everything went down:




7:00 a.m. left for the hospital
8:00 a.m. got settled down into the delivery room & hooked up to IV and petosin.
8:10 a.m. had my first contraction
10:00 a.m. requested my epidural
10:30 a.m. got my epidural
12 noon sent John out into the hallway for the nurse...um...THE BABY IS COMING!!!
12:10 p.m. staring at my labor nurse, a medical intern & an EMT observer all telling me not to
push [the dr. was on his way] ...as I'm thinking...you should be talking to the baby people!
12:18 p.m. the dr. came running into the room & gave the ok to start pushing. [i think he was
trying to cover up his surprise at seeing the baby's head crowned]
12:23 p.m. Baby Jack was Born!!! He was 8lbs. and 20" long.


So that's how our little Jack was ushered to us! Swift and without delay! Another great blessing is that Jack latched on the first time trying and he stayed latched for a very long time. Some of you may know that we went through great "trials" with drew not latching on his own until he was 6 weeks old. We left the hospital having to feed him through a tube and just kept trying with him...which meant for very long and exausting feedings. So with great anticipation I held my breath and offered one final prayer as I waited to see how Jack would do. The Lord answered this mother's prayer and to this day I praise the Lord every time I feed him for how marvelous he eats! [and his 2 weeks appt will show for that! he gained 14oz. from his birth weight at 2 weeks! he's a little porker!]

8 comments:

Carrie said...

How much did he weigh and how long was he when he was born?

Debbie Griffin said...

I am so glad that nursing is going better the second time around! Daniel was a nightmare that ended up with me in surgery, but Hannah was a breeze! It seems like everything is a bit easier the second time around...once you get past the first couple of months :-)

Don & Katrina Hines said...

Congratulations Neiners!

From: Don and Katrina Hines

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Glad your baby came in such short order. Wait till number 3! Greased Lightning :-) When you sit down with Jack, I'm probably sitting down with Cana. I'll be thinkin' of ya!

S said...

That's great that the birth went so smoothly for you. And praise the Lord nursing is going well with Jack. I was fortunate that Esther was a great nurser from day one, so that was a blessing. It's so time consuming at the beginning, but pays off so much (literally) after they start sleeping through the night. We'll be praying you get sleep here and there! I remember those tiring days.

Beth said...

Congratulations Erin! Enjoy every minute although you're sleep deprived and soar! We moms truly sympathize with each other and will pray you through the first weeks. So glad "things" are going well. I was opposite. Jonas- great, Ella- terrible... ya just never know with this pregnancy/delivery/ baby stuff!

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Hey Girl! Alex is getting ordained today, and I'm sitting here in his office feeding little AJ (he likes to take his sweet time). We will be getting internet at the house this week, so I should have our update up (now that the babe is a month old). beautiful pictures!!!!! Jack is a beautiful little guy! love ya!

Sara said...

Hey Erin!! Yes, it is I (Kelsey!) I wrote to you a while back, but didn't get a response, so I assume you never got it?!?!
Yes, married, and Stephanie should remember my love for Josh Golden--I used to come back to the room and say "I talked to 'my husband' today!" Very funny that he ended up being just that! We stayed friends for two years after I graduated from NBBC, and we've been married a year and a half now! Your boys are precious!! Please send me Steph's e-mail or something . . . I would love to keep in touch with her. I know she had a little boy--any more for her?!?!? Do you keep in touch with Alyssa at all? I found Leah through your site--amazing how this can bring old friends back into touch! You look so great and very happy with all three of your boys--I'm so happy for you, Erin, and so glad we found eachother!!

Kelsey ( I will always be that to you, at least!)